Since Lawrence Prospera began offering young adult program in the mid-1990s, construction and carpentry have been at the heart of that programming. To date, Lawrence Prospera's construction and carpentry program has built and sold 10 houses in partnership with the City of Lawrence's Affordable and First Time Homeowners program.
In the SISU Builds shop, young adults continue to learn basic construction and carpenty skills. In addition to Lawrence Prospera's house building projects, participants learn to use wood and tools to construct items to improve their (and your) homes and communities. In addition to learning the proper use of common handheld and power tools, SISU BUILDS offers young adults the opportunity to learn and operate a CNC Machine.
SISU Builds provides the opportunity for young adults to complete the OSHA 10 certification and the National Center for Construction Education and Research pre-apprenticeship training.
OSHA 10 Requirements
- Labels and SDS
- Module 1: Introduction to OSHA
- Module 2: Walking & Working Surfaces, including Fall Protection
- Module 3: Exit Routes, Emergency Action Plans, Fire Prevention Plans and Fire Protection
- Module 4: Electrical
- Module 5: Personal Protective Equipment
- Module 6: Hazard Communication
- Module 7: Machine Guarding Safety
- Module 8: Ergonomics
- Module 9: Recordkeeping & Reporting
- Module 10: Hazwoper
Skills and Competencies
- Basic Building and Construction Overview
- Building Trades Safety
- Construction Math
- Reading Blueprints
- Tools and Construction Materials
- Green Construction
- Lumber Identification and Uses
- Construction Codes
- Licensing Requirements
- Trade Fundamentals
- Related Trades
- The Inspection Process
- Career Opportunities
SISU BUILDS can construct adorondak chairs, picnic tables, curio shelves, little free library boxes, and domino tables/chess boards.